White Horse Lane

 In 1897 the Corporation took over the Burying Ground in White Horse Lane fom the Trustees with the view of turning it into a recreation ground. This caused a bit of an outcry in some quarters as it was regarded as wanton desecration.This was a little unfair as at the time it was reported that it was used as a common drying ground, that children played skittles with the detached portions of the stones and that chickens and pigs roamed there!

The first burial in this ground was that of "Nimrod Hollgarth", buried on 23rd. July 1767. The cemetery was generally called the "Anabaptists burying ground" until 1788. In 1789 and afterwards it is called the "Dissenters burying ground" and was closed in 1847, except for families possessing vaults. It was closed entirely on Jan 1st. 1856 on the opening of the New General Cemetery.



 Above :

 The White Horse public house which once stood in White Horse Lane.